Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bulb Planting Hack


Since most of my favorite bulbs are too tender for my garden and would probably die over the winter here in Chicago I need to be able to plant them and later find them. The problem is that once fall comes around I sometimes forget about where I placed them. This year I have been using things like this strawberry basket from the grocery store.

By placing them inside of something like this basket I can plant them and in the fall when they are ready to be lifted I can find them easily simply by locating the basket. You can also create something similar out of chicken wire to use for your summer bulbs in the garden or place the bulbs you have to lift in large enough pots.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with this. I wonder whether that light plastic basket will survive the pulling when you try to lift a well-rooted dahlia bulb or large offset such as you're showing. I'll look forward to hearing how the experiment works.

MrBrownThumb said...

Hey Doug,

It's actually a Calla Lily offset and last year it worked pretty good once all the foliage had died down.

One thing I did do was insert the trowel below the basket when I was digging up the bulbs. I'll update this in the fall to give a better idea.

Bob said...

Hiya, That sounds a good idea to me. Bob.

anete joaquim said...

Thanks for the visit to my blog and garden. I'll come here soon, in time.

Recent Garden Hacks